Saturday, January 16, 2010

Defense of the League of Nation, Woodrow Wilson, Sept 1919

Who wrote: President Woodrow Wilson.

Audience: President Wilson was addressing a crowd of people in Pueblo Colorado September 26, 1919, as part of a nationwide tour.

Represent: President Wilson was pleading the case of why having the League of Nations was so important to the world in order prevent future wars between mutual cooperation and arbitration between nations.

What being said: President Wilson places emphasis on how the Covenant of the League of Nations is much more than just a settlement with Germany, but a pact between nations to ensure mutual cooperation and prevent future aggression against one another. He outlines how this will be done through the League of Nations by establishing international laws that protect the rights of nations against from aggression from another. In any such dispute both parties would present documents to a council within the League that would then spend up to six months reviewing both sides claims in the dispute. Both nations would abide by whatever determination is made by the council. After explaining this process of how the League will arbitrate disputes between nations, he carefully refers to Article X to alleviate any concerns about the “territorial integrity” of nations being threatened by the League in order to emphasize how the entire purpose of the League is to protect the rights of these nations.

How being said:
President Wilson is primarily appealing to the emotions of Americans by using the example of the fallen soldiers killed in battle and how the creation of the League would be an effort to not let their sacrifice be in vain.

What proof: President Wilson carefully explains the structure of the League of Nations and how it would work as an arbitrator between nations. He also quotes Articles X and XI to give examples of how the rights of nations are protected. Finally he includes examples of powerful personal experiences such as communicating with the surviving relatives of soldiers killed in the war.

13 comments:

  1. Your analysis of this reading was great and right on the points. I think that Wilson did a good thing in making this speech all over the country concerning the importance of the League of Nations. It is unfortunate that this was ultimately defeated and the US never became a part of the League, but the efforts in trying cannot go unseen. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another job well done, for both Wilson and you. I think you anaylsis is right on and you gave great details from the articule about the defensive of our nation. Wilson has done some great things in his term and i think this is one great address that he made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job! This is a great TA in showing how the president came to get the people involved. I think by trying to get the rest of the country know the importance of the League of Nations that he knew he could change the minds of the people that were to represent the people. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is a great TA, you have hit every point but I totally agree to what you have said when he outlines how it will be done through the league of nations by establishing international laws that protect the rights of nations against from aggression from another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did very good on this TA. I think that you hit every point that Wilson was presenting. I think that Wilson presented this is an very humble and compassionate way. He is very convincing and I know that I would be convinced by his speeches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good! You explained the document very well and hit many of the details. I also agree with you in the fact that President Woodrow Wilson very much understood emotional appeal and I feel like as in Fourteen Points he used this for peoples support. I did not realize how great his speeches were. It was an immense effort and sad that the United States never joined in the end. I am a pacifist and really enjoyed reading how he carried out his efforts of peace. This is an idea that I wish we could see more in the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish his ideas could have been carried out more even if it was not in the involvement of the League Of Nations. We can see from history his dream unfortunetely did not come true. We have had many wars followed; World War II, Cold War, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganastan, and others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job of covering everything in the document. The more speeches I read by Wilson the more I like him. It's unfortunate that his pleas to join the League of Nations were unanswered, especially after how passionately he wanted it to happen. One part of the speech that stood out to me was when he was talking about how he was the one who asked Congress to send the soldiers overseas, that he was the one who "created the situation that led to the death of their sons." I definitely agreed when you said, "President Wilson is primarily appealing to the emotions of Americans"; Wilson seems to be good at touching the hearts of the people he is talking to when he speaks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading the portion about HOW Wilson said what he did. You're correct in stating that he used a lot of emotional appeal - he's great at speaking to the Americans and people all over the world. His words are to the point, emotionally stirring, and convicting. He definitely is standing up for the soldiers of our country and revealing not only what the soldiers go through, but their family - "I consented to their sons being put in the most difficult parts of the battle line, where death was certain..." - I appreciate the fact that he draws from personal experience to really send his message out to all Americans. It was an emotional address that convicted the world to bring peace upon nations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your TA, Jennifer, and I believe that it reflects your awareness of the PD. Although I don't necessarily agree with Wilson's main points of argument in defending America's inclusion into the League, I do believe, nonetheless, that he was able to bring a sense of passion and duty to his address. And yes, Articles X and XI were measures in fostering mutual cooperation among nations, as well as, the prevention of future world conflicts, however, we can easily see from a historical standpoint, that many of these such articles and convenants purported by the League of Nations have been wittingly over stepped by various world powers - including several infractions on behalf of the United States.

    But overall, great job in carefully outlining your points.

    And if possible, may I ask you a question based on this PD?

    Since it's inception, do you believe that the League of Nations has been more helpful in securing world peace, and preventing world conflict, or do you think that the League has never lived up to the expectations of its Covenant?

    Thanks!

    Hakim Moore

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great TA! I agree with what you say about President Wilson placing emphasis on how the Covenant of the League of Nations is much more than just a settlement with Germany. He said that it was not just a settlement but a readjustment of those great injustices, which underlie the whole structure of Europe and Asia. I like how you mention article X. Wilson wanted the people to know what the League of Nations meant. He didn't want anyone to be falsifying without knowing the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were right on the mark with this TA, well done! Reading about all the things Wilson has done in his term makes me really appreciate him and his actions he has done in term. Before this class I never realized some of the things he's done to impact America forever. He was truly a man of his words and you can see the love he had for his country. The League of Nations helped gain trust among other nations and even people of the United States. Great job once again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your TA, good job! I agree that Wilson did the best he could in his presidency. He was before his time and made great strides in trying to achive world peace.

    ReplyDelete